Sunday, May 31, 2009

another moving adventure

wow - on this move we encountered enough adventures to last us a lifetime of moves.
first - Our truck reservation fell through. We truck we reserved for our city and our day was so nicely 120 miles one way from our location. Yes - UHAL reserved us a truck that wasn't due until 3 days after our pickup day then told us we had to drive 120 miles one way to pick up the next closest truck. EXCUSS ME I DON'T THINK SO. So we call around and after the majority of the day is done and we have less than 2 hours until our help arrives BUDGET calls us and tells us they found us a truck. They gave us a truck that was reserved for someone the next day, but were willing to drive out to their other location to get a different truck for the next days reservation. OKAY that is customer service that we like!!

Second - As we are getting closer to our destination for day one 1-25 is gone. It is completely under construction in one town and the detour takes you in circles throughout the whole town. I will let you imagine what that was like with three tired and hungry kids and two tired and frustrated parents. Anyway we made it to our destination 4 hours later than expected.

Third - We finally arrived at our new home around 4:30 in the afternoon. We got checked in and started unloading the truck. We unload everything we think needs to stay and then tell the kids to get their shoes back on we need to head back out to our storage unit. Dallin is asleep on the bed and Dave and I are closing up the truck and doing last minute checks to make sure we have everyting that needs to go. I get Whitney in her car seat and she says she needs a jacket. As I start back in toward the house I hear the door shut. Danica has been trained well to close the door behind her... can you guess what happened next. Yep the door automatically locks. Keys - inside. Baby -- inside. Phone - inside. A moment of terror strikes me as I realize that at 9:30 pm in the middle of the forrest, all park personnell are home and we haven't been oriented to the park yet to know who to go to. Panic starts to set in - how can I get my baby???!!! Dave and I run around the cabin checking all the entrances and windows. nothing.. older home are much harder to break into. Dave finally dislodges a window and after 45 minutes of trying to get in we finally just rip the screen and send Danica in through the hole. She first checks on Dallin and she says he's okay he's still asleep. So we get the hole closed up and the window back in. Then the rains came. Bythis time Dallin is awake so we feed him and finally load everyone into the car. A small moment of peace and then...

Fourth - If you haven't gathered yet we live in a cabin in the woods - no paved roads, trees and rocks abound around the road. We are disoriented. Dave turns the wrong way out the drive. We drive a little ways and realize we are going to wrong way. Have you ever tried to turn around a 15 foot moving truck in the mud in the forrest??? It took me 4 tries in the van. Now I let your imagination take over... Needless to say we did get it turned around. Dave is a superhero!! Now we are off to unload at storage. Well, we finish unloading at 3:30 am. We are too tired to drive back to our house and try to find it in the dark. First hotel was booked, Second was available. Woo hoo.

After 4 lovely interrupted hours of sleep we are now ready to go back home. We do have to say that through all these fun adventures we had a blast with our friends the Lawerences we stayed with. The girls went to the park, Dave got to play with his buddy he never sees and I rested slightly. We sang lots of songs and made up stories along the way (Mr. Goobers and crocodiles was one of my favorites) and as soon as I get pictures taken I can't even describe the breathtaking view from our windows. We drove through many beautiful places and the girls are now old enough to enjoy them too.

Love you and miss you all!!! And thanks to everyone who helped us in New Mexico!!! We wouldn't have made it without you.

7 comments:

Tom said...

I just have to say that you are an amazing woman!!! You lived through all of that and could tell the story :) I don't think that I could have done that; I would still be basking in my own pity for going through that :)

Melissa

Krystle Ricks said...

CHRISTINA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS TERRIBLE!!!! But that was smart of you to tear the screen on the window. I probably would have been so frantic I would have hurled a rock at the window! Way to keep your head! But I am so glad you guys are there and safe! So tell me... is the carpet lime green?

Bergstresser Bunch said...

Wow, I have no idea how you survived all of that and still came out smiling the other end! Good for you! Hopefully all of this struggle will mean that you have a fabulous summer ahead of you.

Mauri said...

you deserve a medal....

Lynners said...

Wow. I'm exhausted just reading that! You are such troopers! Here's hoping you have some wonderful experiences right away.

BTW Where are you now? Sorry. I loose track of you guys!

The Turley Family said...

That was quite the adventure! Wow! I'm glad you all made it there safetly. I wish you the best!!

Daniel Hopkins said...

Wow. And I think I have bad days now and then. :) Glad you made it alright!