Hi all,
This post is more for me to mull over the situation. but feel free to comment as you please.
Dallin had his one month check this week, and according to his doctor he is very healthy, hydrated, etc. etc. etc. The only problem is that is is only 7 pounds. Yes - his birth weight.
The shortened story is that he was born at 7 lbs, one week later was 6 lb 9 oz. at two weeks he was 6 pounds 10 oz and now at 5 weeks is back to 7 pounds.
He has grown an inch in length, sleeps well at night as long as he is in our bed (he likes the company I guess, or it may just be more comfortable than the pack-n-play)
Anyway, there are many similarities between Danica and Dallin except that Dallin is perfectly happy.
The othe difference is that he won't take a bottle after he's done nursing. Which is why the doctor thinks he is getting enough. We go back next week to weigh him again to see if he just has been taking a while to increase my milk supply since it took him three weeks to figure out how to eat efficiently.
Thanks for listening, any advice, tips etc for increasing milk would be great.



3 comments:
oh my gosh what a tiny thing. All I know is to drink a ton and pumping in addition to feeding helps too. Ask your doctor about human milk fortifier. you add it to your pumped breast milk. It obviously increases your milks calorie content. The dietitians at Mckay Dee would give it to the babies to help them gain weight. They put my little boy on it too. I think it might be prescription only though. To bad you can't just buy it. It really works though. Good luck
If he is eating and doesn't always seem hungry and he is gaining weight (even if it is slowly), I wouldn't worry too much yet. Misha was still 9oz below her birth weight at 2 weeks but by 2 months she'd put on 1lb over her birth weight, and she continued to grow at her own pace (I don't know if you remember but she was tiny). But today she's my tallest girl.
As far as increasing your milk goes, if you're anything like me (and you seem to be in many ways) I produced less and less milk with every baby until my John, my 5th. I tried everything everybody told me and nothing worked. He ate constantly, (I gave up on pumping after Erin, I simply couldn't express anything no matter how full I was) but by the time he was 4 months he had hollow cheek bones and the doctor told me I had to put him on cereal or he would starve. Hopefully you'll have better luck.
I know how stressful a situation like this can be. Nothing is worse than not knowing if he is getting enough to eat and then to have the doctors concerned about his weight does not help. Your mom said that he is doing much better know though after you fasted for him. That is great!! Lets hope that he continues to eat well and gain some weight.
Post a Comment